Friday, July 11, 2008

BPA free bottles

I know I've not been a good blogger, hardly any updates for more than 1 month now :p Sorie...

But I've been a good mama or rather I hope I am one :)

I've been researching a lot on internets on baby-safe products, in particular baby bottles and recently, I've got a new addiction - cloth diapers! I've been spending so much time on the internet and I think hubby is really annoyed with me too :) Sorry dear....






These pictures were taken some time back but basically what we did was to replace our easy-to-use plastics bottles with aluminium Sigg bottles and children's Avent milk bottles to MAM BPA-free bottles. BPA is actually Bisphenol-A, which is a type of chemical that manufacturers include in polycarbonate plastic manufacturing to ensure that the plastic bottles do not break easily upon impact. BPA has been known to leach from the plastic lining of canned foods and, to a lesser degree, polycarbonate plastics that are cleaned with harsh detergents or used to contain acidic or high-temperature liquids.

BPA is also believed to be carcinogenic. Studies on laboratory mice were performed and the possible effects are listed below (obtained from wikipedia):

  • Permanent changes to genital tract
  • Changes in breast tissue that predispose cells to hormones and carcinogens
  • Increased prostate weight 30%
  • Lower bodyweight, increase of anogenital distance in both genders, signs of early puberty and longer estrus
  • Decline in testicular testosterone
  • Breast cells predisposed to cancer
  • Prostate cells more sensitive to hormones and cancer
  • Decreased maternal behaviors
  • Reversed the normal sex differences in brain structure and behavior

So, you scared or not? I vely scared loh....

No comments: